D800 Kept randomly refusing to focus & shoot the other day...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Kept randomly refusing to focus & shoot the other day...
In reply to bydavidrosen, 10 months ago

I can't tell you what's wrong, but I have a troubleshooting routine I use myself that more often than not works for me. Generally, I discover that it's pilot error

1) Two button reset. Wouldn't hurt to reset all the other settings to default either. Don't change ANY settings before retesting.

2) Depending on the nature of the problem, I MAY try some shots WITHOUT a memory card.

3) Try a DIFFERENT, preferably brand new from a REPUTABLE (no eBay, because of counterfeits) seller, FAST memory card.

4) Thoroughly and properly clean both the lens electrical contacts and the body electrical contacts.

5) Try a different, late model, NIKON PRIME lens. Try both focus and release priority.

6) Have a friend try it in case I've got a momentary brain **** and doing something stupid.

Usually it's me, not the camera.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow