D800 Kept randomly refusing to focus & shoot the other day...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bydavidrosen
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
D800 Kept randomly refusing to focus & shoot the other day...
6 months ago

So I was out doing an outdoor photoshoot the other day. Light was fine. Taking some great pictures of a model. Using a D800 with a 28-75 f2.8 Tamron lens.

I'd shoot 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 great shots in a row, and totally randomly, exact same location, exact same lighting conditions, using my camera in the exact same way, it would just completely refuse to focus and/or take a picture. I tried turning away from my subject and focusing on something else but nothing.

I shut the camera off, disconnected and reconnected the lens, and we're back in business shooting again for again it could be 1 or 2 or 5 or 20 or whatever more perfect shots before it stops working again. It happened like probably 10 times before we decided to call it a day (we were towards the end of the shoot anyway). Probably 2 or 3 of those times it didn't work after turning off and disconnecting the lens, but disconnecting/reconnecting a 2nd time got it working again.

So my question is... Any ideas what's going on here? I'm shooting in manual and I know how to use my camera... But I can't seem to figure out what could be happening. I suppose it could have to do with the camera OR the lens... But I'm not sure which. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow