ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
eawhitcomb
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?
A77 or A99 in APS-C mode?
9 months ago

Hello,

I am very fortunate this year to have a snowy owl about 1 mile from my house.  The first day I went out I had the A99 w/the 70-400G2 lens and was shooting with APS-C set to on since he was pretty far away (but I didn't really get any pictures of him).  I know because of APS-C I was only at 10M for file size.  Sunday & Monday I went out with the A77 w/the 70-400G2 lens and was at 24M for file size.  He's far enough away that I have to shoot on 400mm and still do cropping on top of that.

I think I know the answer to this already, but since I haven't gotten a really decent shot yet (I get too excited whenever I see him and forget everything I know!) I'm doubting EVERYTHING I know.  Is one of these setups better than the other?  If I can get a decent shot, I doubt if I would print bigger than 8x10/12….maybe a 16x20 canvas.

I've taken the time this morning to set both cameras up to what I know best so I'm not doing it when I get to the location and get too excited.  Changing back to AP mode (which I know best) and cranking up exposure to get white snow).

And finally….I have my A99 set up for back button focusing, which I love.  Is there a way to do this on the A77?  I have my AEL button set for focus, but it appears in the A77 I can't do this?  That's a bummer!  I notice a huge difference in using the two.

Thanks for any help!

Here are some of my perfectly missed opportunities from the past 2 days!

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow