For those who think that the AF of D600/D610/Df is better than the D800... "left AF issue"

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,276
Like?
For those who think that the AF of D600/D610/Df is better than the D800... "left AF issue"
9 months ago

I have said this before and I say this again, I have not seen any AF issues connected to the left most AF points of my camera. I don't have any fast WA lenses, my widest is the 24-120/4, so that's not really that fast. My fastest lens after that is the 50/1.4G and I have not observed ANY problems with that lens, quite the opposite, it is in my opinion amazing on the D800. I also have the 60/2.8G and the 105/2.8GVR macro lenses, as well as the 70-300GVR zoom. My left AF is just fine, like all the other AF points I have used before. I don't claim to have tested all the 51 points, but definitely the right, center and left ones.

Now, lately some members claimed that the Df or the D600/D610 does not have this "issue" with the left AF point, and whatever the issue is, I believe those people. But...

...what they are forgetting is that AF systems are TOTALLY different, and if they don't have any "left AF issues" that may depend on one of the major difference between the D800/D4 and the other cameras AF, which is that they simply don't cover the same area. I made a small drawing comparing the D600 and the D800 AF, and it is easy to see that the left/right AF is well outside the left/right most points of the D600/D610, and I assume even the Df. So, of course, you don't have this "issue" since you don't have those points. Is it better so? Perhaps it is, but in that case, a D800 user can always avoid using the left point, and by doing so, he/she might get rid of the "left AF issue" through 'emulating' the Df in this regard. Of course, I am assuming that the Df has the same spreading as the D600/D610. I haven't checked this out.

So yes, the Df have 'better' AF but then again, the D800 still provides more AF points... or am I wrong?

Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow