Your camera's a tool, not a jewel.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,809Gear list
Like?
Re: Your camera's a tool, not a jewel.
In reply to wudyi, 7 months ago

Raymond Cho wrote:

It does more cost money to buy a nice car or a used car that is still rather nice. Many people just pick up a modestly priced car for us we get them at the auctioneer so cheaper than the dealers and not have to deal with them too .... We pick up a 5 or 8yr old car depending on the deal we get, your typical VW Golf or Toyota Camry etc. keep it for another 12yrs ourselves and then sell it for $200 or send it to the scrap yard and get back $100 when the repair bills gets too excessive. It's silly to buy a new car, it depreciates as you drive it out of the showroom. When it needs service, tyres etc .. we just send it to the place that has a good deal and reputable. We do shop around for good prices....

Good job, Raymond. I'm buying a used car next time around, myself. I've always bought new, but I've also run those new cars into the ground like you explain. My father bought a new Porsche every four years from the same salesman at the same dealership. He liked expensive cameras, too, but you know what? I have almost no pictures of me when I was growing up. 

I also buy new and run at least half of everything I buy for ten years or more. I ran a 1984 land Rover until 2007 and an Isuzu Trooper/bighorn from 93 until 12 and it has sat at the bottom of my yard since. Main car is a 98 Land Cruiser 100, which has done 500 miles this past week towing a 7000 lb trailer. I still have a Minolta 7000 in perfect order, though it hasn't been used in some years now. Who can tell what the future holds though.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow