Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,808
Like?
Re: Your camera's a tool, not a jewel.
In reply to Aberaeron, 8 months ago

Aberaeron wrote:

amalric wrote:

That tells us only about the behaviour of the Western rich part of the World, a minority population.

By perusing flickr I find that by far the most interesting photogs. are from Asia, Chinese in particular. The best still use a film camera, probably a Seagull and a 50mm, a copy of Soviet cameras, that were copies of 1930 Leicas. Of no commercial value whatsoever.

That tells me the truth about photography, far more than a poll in some Commercial Space.

Which tells me only the sad truth of late consumerism.Thankful if it doesn't contribute to pollute the environment for greedy, ultraindividual purposes. The West has lost moral superiority.

You can indeed shoot awesome material with v. simple tools a Chinese village can tell you.

Am.

The people who till the land by animal and human labour, subsistence farming and barely able to feed their families, and living in abject poverty, would love nothing more and aspire to a 'Western' standard of living. There is absolutely nothing romantic or desirable to this kind of life.

The most successful Asian economies rival and often better Western standards of living and soak up technology like no others.

LOL - do you really believe in this crap?

This is the artist I had in mind. I think he now uses an old Hasselblad 6x6:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gzi24/

Very different story from what you imagine in your Western misery.

Am.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow