Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
n057
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,024Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to Tony Beach, 6 months ago

Tony Beach wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Further, the rise of really good Sigma lenses with switchable mounts reduces the lock-in component in the future.

I didn't realize I could switch the mount on my Sigma lenses.

Here's a simple example. A D7100 with a buffer size of 20 images still wouldn't be a full D300 replacement (for other reasons), but it would at least be a great value at its price point that didn't feel so artificially crippled. You'd feel like you were getting amazing value for the price. As it is now, it's so obviously crippled that it just doesn't generate the same impact or loyalty or brand goodness that it could. It serves the needs of some, but misses the chance it had to show the product/brand leadership that earlier products did.

Maybe Nikon gets that leadership back with the D7200 -- the bar is a bit low so that shouldn't be so hard -- that's what Thom thinks might happen, but that remains to be seen. The more problematic part is that even if the D7200 (or D400, or D9000, or whatever Nikon calls the D300s successor) is absolutely everything we want in some ways, Nikon will probably make enough of it incompatible with say a D800 to make it difficult to alternate between using them quickly and seamlessly. It seems that Nikon has created a lot of seams in their camera system now.

They had that leadership on the serious camera area with the D300/D700/D3 trio, but they do not seem to want to keep that leadership. I hope they get it again, i'll still have the lingering worry that they will not try to keep it. As in "where are the lenses"?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow