Oly prices too high (a take on "Olympus rebates stink")

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhotoNative
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Oly prices too high (a take on "Olympus rebates stink")
5 months ago

I think the Olympus pricing is somehow based on hype on the new products. The hype will be generated through marketing and media, incl. XYrumors sites and controlled "leakage" news, few months/weeks before announcement.

The prices are at least 30% too high (IMO), and then, few months later, when the hype is over, there is a big problem to sell the overpriced units, particularly compared to DSLR. Whereas m4/3 technology should be (and is) a way cheaper to construct than DSLR's. I'm in Switzerland, and if you go to the shop.olympus.ch you'll see what I mean.... (E-M1 + 12-40 Kit priced 2800CHF, which is more than 3000US).
That's why they launched E-M10 recently, and for sure there will be soon some marks II,III... of OM-D series (or other), to continue the game. And that's why all this rebate sells needed...

Have E-PL5 and wanted to go for E-P5, but I'm not paying 1400CHF (+1500 US) for E-P5 kit with standard 14-42 lens! Crazy!
Sure, there are also other cheaper online shops around, but still, who would pay such a prices, where you can get 5D mkIII or other professional DSLR (D800?) for less!? Portability is nice, but not if I'm ripped off for it...

Just think about hype and than debacle of Sigma SD1 (Merrill) a few years ago. Sigma could have reached top sales with it, but they decided to poker to high on it....

Now, I'm selling some Oly/Pana primes and leave m4/3 photography for a while.

PhotoNative's gear list:PhotoNative's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-PL5 +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ButNew
USANew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow