Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?
Re: Which 4/3 Prime Lens is best for video
In reply to Lapeno, 2 months ago

Lapeno wrote:

jlynchtx wrote:

I just ordered the Panasonic G5 from Amazon with the kit lens and the 45-150 lens.

I am already researching which prime lens to buy first... This will be for indoors and I plan on shooting video at least 1/3 of the time. Which prime lenses work for video. I am reading a lot of mixed reviews and different information.

I know they all will work to some degree, but which ones don't make a terrible amount of noise and focus hunt, etc. I am aware that non have OIS and that doesn't bother me.

Is the Panasonic 14 2.5 the only one? I was looking at the 20 1.7, 25 1.4, and possibly the 45 1.8 from Olympus. I was kinda leaning towards one of the 20's because they seem to be a good middle ground. But if the 14 and 45 are best for video, then maybe I will just save up and get both of those.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, i couldn't find anything. The reviews on Amazon are all over the place on video use for these lenses.

I know this is an old post, but it is still a relevant question (at least for me) and there's not a ton of information about which lens focuses faster for video. What did you end up buying and how were the results?

I've had all of these lenses. 14mm is pretty good for video, but 17mm is probably the best video lens for the most part, it rarely hunts and if it does, it's very fast. 25mm is good but a teeny bit slower and more prone to hunting. 20mm is relatively awful. 45mm is pretty good but can hunt a bit.

So in terms of focus speed and suitability for indoor video:

1. 17mm f/1.8 - Fast, a joy to use in AF and MF, and f/1.8 is useful.

2. 25mm f/1.4 - A bit slower but f/1.4 is always nice to have.

3. 45mm f/1.8 - Good performer but can get a bit tight for indoor video.

4. 14mm f/2.5 - f/2.5 is simply not fast enough for a lot of indoor opportunities.

5. Just about any other M43 lens.

6. 20mm f/1.7. Still usable but don't expect to AF in video with any accuracy or speed.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow