Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,352
Like?
What does lightroom do?
In reply to Paul De Bra, 7 months ago

Paul De Bra wrote:

We had a large print made from our daughter's wedding in 2005. The image was taken with a very good setup but at that time it did imply having only 6MP to work with. The photographer (a friend) used some fractal upscaling software before the picture was sent off to a printing service. The print was gorgeous.

I am wondering what kind of upscaling Lightroom does.

I know I can export a file from RAW to JPG after processing and normally I select 100% quality and no resizing (just the nominal pixel count, after crop).

But I can also export  with a specific DPI and measurements and it affects the file size considerably.  Exporting for 96x72cm at 200 dpi is a larger file. What kind of mathematics are behind that operation?  Do you know?

Today we are spoiled with megapixels, but many lenses cannot keep up with the increase in sensor resolution.

I guess that is why it pays to invest in good lenses: they realize their potential with increasingly better sensors.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow