Are there any serious users of MF lenses on this forum?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,195
Like?
Are there any serious users of MF lenses on this forum?
10 months ago

Subtitled "What is a focal reducer?"

It seems that most members of this forum are using M4/3 oem AF lenses. They will perform well, are matched to the camera mount and are straight forward in use. No problem.

But MF can be fun and Panasonic has tossed in a reasonable focus peaking system in the GM1 at least and not being "into" Olympus I presume that there is one in current use there as well.

Focus peaking just increases the fun of using MF lenses. But it is not for everyone.

I would like to get some feedback from those who use MF lenses, what types, and what adapters and techniques they use. Also if they are using any of the new Focal reducer adapters that are appearing on the market for M4/3 mount.

These adapters change the normal crop factor effectively from 2.0x to 1.4x they also give one full stop of extra light for the lens. For example a f2.8 lens will act like a f2.0 as far as light to the sensor is concerned.

I am using the RJ M42-M4/3 adapter and I have accumulated a good number of MF lenses that I now share between the Ricoh GXR-M LM mount, the Sony NEX6 E mount and still occasionally use on the Samsung NX10 NX mount. I can now use many of these lenses also on the GM1.

The GM1 is a good mule for MF lenses. Left arrow, press set (screen magnified), twirl dial (change magnification level), twist focus ring (focus), click.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow