Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,815
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to JimPearce, 7 months ago

Thanks Jim for bringing this article back to my attention.  I had read the first installment, but lost track of it after that (even though I did read that there would be a follow-up).

This is a rather lengthy article with a lot more in it than just whether or not Thom thinks there will be a D300 successor.  There's a lot of marketing screw-ups at Nikon, and as I read through what Thom says about FX cameras, Coolpix Cameras, the "1" series cameras, and the consumer DX cameras, the lack of a D300 successor looks like more of the same.  To sum up Nikon's market plan -- it's pointless.

Later in the article we get into the weeds.  Why no ETTR mode, or ability to create uni-WB?  Why aren't menus programmable? Why no Picture Control continuity (I mean hell, I can't I get my D200 and D300 to have the same look to them with NX but I can with Capture One!)?  Reading all the way to the end of the article Thom does hold out a glimmer of hope for Nikon even as he points out that he would focus on the software side of the cameras now because the hardware side is more than adequate (a sobering thought for all the GAS enthusiasts that inhabit DPR's forums).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow