Newbie gear question 2300 budget.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to juvx, 10 months ago

By better, i would prefer full frame

Why is full frame better? A full frame camera will eat most of your budget leaving very little for good lenses. And the only real world benefit you will see from a entry level full frame camera will be a more shallow DoF. And that may or may not be a good thing.

Like i said my budget is 2300 in 2 weeks. not forever, i plan on adding more lenses etc as time goes by. I want a good body to start with. I do understand the concept of fast glass. My question is... would a 70-200 F4 constant be good enough if i shoot wide open on a camera that can handle iso 3200 with ease and almost no noise?

I would say no. Others would disagree. No matter how you slice it, f/2.8 lets in twice as much light as f/4. For relatively dark indoor shooting, this is a pretty big deal.

Also keep in mind that you are buying into a system. Another reason I suggest sticking with Canon or Nikon. In this thread you mentioned possibly the Sony camera and earlier possibly a flash. Personally, I do not like Sony's flash implementation. Sony puts the FEC somewhere in the camera's menu system. I find that very odd and very time consuming. Both Canon and Nikon put FEC on the flash itself. In general terms, Nikon's flash system is probably the best you will find. However, if the Canon simply feels better in your hands, then I would go with Canon.

Finally, you mentioned somewhere in the thread comparing say the 70D and the D7100… from an IQ standpoint, in a blind test, you would never be able to tell any difference between the two resulting images. Any differences will be in the post-processing of the image. Because guess what, either camera will be recording the same light. Which is all the camera does.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow