DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,613Gear list
Re: Nothing wrong with the F31fd
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 6 months ago

Kim Letkeman wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

DS21 wrote:

That's why he is mistaken, the watercolor effect at ISO 1600 was the thing of F30, F31 does not have that effect.

What they did in the F31fd, which is widely documented, is to reduce the exposure issues that plagued the F30fd. The latter was known to over expose images and the former was known to shoot a bit too dark an image. The F31fd was the best of the lot at that sensor size, but is still woefully out of date.

As usual, you are being sloppy and superficial when it comes to older Fuji cameras. The difference that cured the watercolor effect at ISO 1600 was the decision to lower the NR and allow some more noise at ISO 1600 (compared to F30), and slightly increase detail at the expense of noise. The exposure issues have nothing to do with that. And, by the way, the "exposure issues that plagued the F30fd" (there is no F30fd, Mr. Fuji Expert, only F30) are nothing compared to wild blow-ups F550, F600, and Fxxx all do when left at their default settings

People who whine about problems at default settings always amaze me. Do you whine because the toilet works so badly with the lid down? Or do you lift it?

I fail to see the relevance of the toilet-camera comparison, maybe you use both with frequent exposure compensation, so it is familiar?

We are in control of our environment ... if we choose to accept the responsibility.

Strange how the F30 was "plagued" by overexposure at default settings, and F550 it s not, surely the responsibility about the settings existed in 2006.

And by the way ... that highlighted section says a lot about your ego's fragility.

I think highlighting it says more about yours.

(like poor old F30 was mostly criticized for, at its default settings). With their modern sensors with more DR (right?) should have been a piece of cake to do it better them the range F30 designers had. The F30 is actually quite good exposure wise, better then many DSLR's of the time (remember D80?), and so much better then today's Fuji cameras (without the permanent DR400 trick).

The whole point of the EXR sensor is to extend dynamic range. If you want to shoot a different way, then you have many, many other choices.

Even with DR400 permanently set, most CMOS EXR cameras still need -1/3 Ev in contrasty conditions. Not much different then F30 which also needed -1/3 Ev to be fine. But because it is old, it is "plagued" by overexposure.

I wonder who will remember the F550 in a couple of years (except you, of course).

The reason I remember the F550EXR is that it was the first of that line to use the 16mp sensor and have raw. That made a massive difference. I shot it for years.

You and two other people. Its going to do the wonders for the F550's legacy.

But, he will reply again, his has to be the last, he is the supreme authority on this forum after all.

You too have learned something of late. Congrats.

What I mostly learned so far is that nothing brings you back faster to this forum (from your Panasonic nirvana)

I've always shot more advanced cameras alongside the Fuji compacts. Right now I am sitting with the F770EXR, F200EXR (both mine) and the XQ1 (Fuji's loaner) ... right beside the Panasonic GM1, which is about the same size. Not so sure why that bothers you ...

Nothing wrong with Panasonics, but you most regularly come back when you have a chance to slam the old F series "clunkers" like you used to call them before you pretended you didn't.

then the opportunity to remind us all how crappy and outdated the old classic F cameras are.

Actually, I said they were far behind the state of the art. Which is true.

I further said that they still take a nice image at low ISO. Which is true.

I never said they were crappy. That is false.

Not in these exact words, but not far behind.

Nothing can make the F31fd a modern camera, though. Which is fine if one does not mind its limitations.

It would be interesting to speculate what drives you to do that, my best guess would be that it is ego related.

Everything is ego related. Your personality being an equally valid example.

-- hide signature --

If we start talking about personalities, yours is the staff of legends, and there is plenty of material if you want to go there.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow