Personal Yea's and Nay's of HS50EXR

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,703Gear list
Like?
Re: Personal Yea's and Nay's of HS50EXR
In reply to Sactojim, 8 months ago

Sactojim wrote:

Interesting read here and another users thoughts that run common with the HS50..not stellar IQ.

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/channel/reviewitem.asp?review=3263

A few quotes: "However, the quality of the image delivered by the camera’s default settings is where the camera’s performance dipped. Viewed at 100 per cent in Adobe Photoshop, test shots showed a fine ‘stippled’ quality which compromised sharpness and seemed to be exacerbated by any form of subsequent sharpening. Discussions with Fuji led to a slight improvement by setting both ‘sharpness’ and ‘noise reduction’ to +2, but potential users should note that the camera reverts to the default image quality setting of ‘normal’ when it is powered off and on again, so the preferred setting of ‘fine’ has to be re-entered prior to every use".

Lemme just state for the record. Anyone who buys and uses a camera of this type in Auto mode is never going to achieve a decent image. These cameras should never be used in Auto mode - ever!!

With auto modes everything is compromised, shutter speed ,ISO etc. One of the most common failings in auto modes is blown highlights. Don't do it folks, you didn't buy this camera just as a glorified P&S (hmmm maybe you did ) but because you are at least half serious about photography.

It staggers me the amount of incompetent reviews of EXR cameras I see. The power of this camera, in the review, is completely overlooked by the reviewer. Surely someone who is a serious birder doing a review would attempt to get the very best out of the camera.

I guess they just don't understand EXR cameras.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow