Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bvphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
Tried the A7
6 months ago

A local store recently had a roadshow of the A7, complete with several bodies, lenses (including the Canon 24-105mm with a Metabones adapter), a set, lighting and a model. I played around with the A7 and my initial thoughts are as follows:

- it's small & light, which is to be expected. What was surprising is how light the lenses were. The 28-70mm kit lens is lighter than the Fujifilm 18-55mm kit lens. Similarly the 35mm 2.8 & 55mm 1.8 are lighter than a lot of lenses I've handled. It would make a great travel kit, more so than my X-E1.

- The 28-70mm lens is okay.

- the 55mm lens is indeed very sharp. The 35mm one is not too bad.

- I didn't see a whole lot of difference in the dynamic range between the A7 and my Canon 6D. But I trust those who say that the A7 sensor is superior.

- The VF is good: faster, smoother than my X-E1's.

- The biggest disappointment was with the AF. It's faster than my X-E1. But reliability was simply not there. Even when it locked in, sometimes shots would be OOF. Although, when the shots were in focus, they were sharp, especially with the 55mm lens. My 50D's, 6D's and X-E1's AF are a lot more reliable.

- Coupling a 3rd party lens like the Canon 24-105mm via a metabones adapter is probably not worth it. AF is frustratingly slow.

- MF lenses, on the other hand, might be an attraction. Although the focus peaking didn't seem particularly accurate either. Maybe I didn't try it out for long, but I thought I get better results from my X-E1's allegedly poor focus-peaking implementation.

Even before trying it out, I was in no hurry to abandon my Canon gear in favor of the A7. It's a great camera, no doubt, but the dodgy AF reliability coupled with the fact that native lens selection is woeful on the Sony system, don't make it an attractive option for people who are already invested in the Canon or Nikon FF ecosystem.

-- hide signature --

Canon 6D, Canon 50D, Fujifilm X-E1, Canon 100 f2, Canon 100-400 IS, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 24-105mm IS, Canon 70-200mm f4 IS, Fujifilm 18-55mm, Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.8, Vivitar 135mm 2.8, Tamron Pro 1.4TC, Speedlite 430EX, Feisol 3402 + Giotto ballhead.

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow