Senior MemberPosts: 1,991Gear list
Like?
Re: EV setting
In reply to Stacey_K, 5 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

windsprite wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

windsprite wrote:

You are missing the point. Say you are shooting in manual and you want to close down the aperture three stops and then slow down the shutter speed three stops to keep the same exposure. With most brands, including Nikon, you have to perform each operation separately, but with Pentax you can link the aperture and shutter controls so that when you change one, the other changes the same amount in the other direction. You're not leaving anything to the camera; it's just a device to save time/labor. A faster way for you to make the camera exactly what you want it to do.

This is referred to as an EV setting. I had a Hasselblad 500c back in the 1970's that had this. It was very useful. My Gossen meter had an EV number readout (as well as f/stop and speed). You just set the EV number on the Hasselblad and then turned the EV ring to the aperture and speed combination you wanted.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Right. You're simply locking the EV. I would love to have that ability on the Nikon cameras.

It has this. It's called exposure lock but is used in A or P mode. If you insist on only using M mode, then no it doesn't.

Well, then it doesn't have it.  Period.  That was the whole point.

I don't "insist on" using only M mode, and I have nothing against automatic and semi-automatic modes, but often I DO want to use manual, and when you are in that mode, EV lock is a nice convenience.  I can't be the only one who thinks this way, or Pentax wouldn't bother to put it on their cameras.  So Nikon doesn't have it, and I live with it and manage to go on taking pictures, but I don't think it's out of line in bring this up in a discussion about exposure modes and user preferences.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow