Lens decision help, Tamron 24-70, Nikon 24-85, 24-120, 16-35

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
schaf
Contributing MemberPosts: 706
Like?
Re: Lens decision help, Tamron 24-70, Nikon 24-85, 24-120, 16-35
In reply to Solveik, 6 months ago

I would not look at 16-35mm on FX as a portrait lens unless you are after some specific wide angle effects. Which, these can be very nice in portraits if well executed.

I have no personal experience with the Tamron 24-70mm.

I own and LOVE the AF 24-85mm F2.8-4D lens and it is my go to zoom for people and portrait shots (on DX). I am sure it would do quite nicely on FX as well. You can often find these used in excellent condition for about $300. I use the Hoya Pro 1 Digital UV filter on it for the "modern" coatings that provide better resistance against flare and internal reflections (off the sensor) and the colors are simply beautiful. I use these filters on all of the AF-D lenses and they work as advertised.

I have no personal experience with the new AF-S 24-85mm, but there seems to be a lot of them on the used market now and relatively inexpensive. I don't think you would be happy with the maximum apertures for portrait work.

My dad owns the 24-120mm F4 and uses it on a D600. BEAUTIFUL combo, especially for a do it all, walk about lens. If you would be happy with F4 as the maximum aperture for portraits, it is an excellent lens.

Have you considered the AF-S 85mm F1.8G? The seem to get pretty high marks.

I myself an a bit biased towards AF-D lenses for the color rendering, especially for people shots, and am considering and AF 85mm F1.8D. These can be found used in excellent condition for $300 - $350.

Schaff

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow