Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,805Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

juvx wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advise on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids Kids activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is 2000-2300$ I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2max and build over time. So i'm willing to go as much as 1500-2k $on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far iv had the following cameras in the last few months the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but iv sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses i am free to start from scratch.

What would you wise people recommend for me. What would you get on that budget if you had 0 gear?
Thank you so much for your advise.

For that money, you can get Nikon D610 with 24-85/3.5-4.5, Canon 6D with 24-105/4 or Sony A7 with 28-70/3.5-5.6. Obviously, the first 2 choices have better, more flexible lenses both in terms of range and apertures, and better autofocus - but Sony is much smaller.

For dance, better autofocus matters.

Out of D610 and 6D, Nikon is better - shoots 6 fps vs 5, includes built-in flash, has better low-ISO dynamic range, supports 2 SD cards. Its one big flaw is its JPEG engine (as usual with Nikon cameras) which does not produce out-of-camera JPEGs as good as Canon, and at high ISOs its output is downright ugly.

6D

D610 - where the yellow-green blotches are coming from?

You will need to shoot and process RAWs, which is not very hard, but not as easy as OOC JPEGs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow