Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to WryCuda, 10 months ago

WryCuda wrote:

juvx wrote:

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advice on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids' activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is $2000-2300 I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2 max and build over time. So I'm willing to go as much as $1500-2000 on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far I've had the following cameras in the last few months: the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but I've sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or Fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses I am free to start from scratch.

The Nikon 7100 usually rates very highly in camera reviews, including the DPR reviews. The usual lens is 18-140mm which isn't a bad place to start, and maybe it will be even long enough for your kid's dance activities. At least that will be a generally useful lens and give you a chance to gauge what other lenses you may need. You can hire lenses in some places, and that may be an option.

It worries me that you rejected the 5100. It's a year or two old, but still highly regarded. What was the problem with it? Most capable cameras take a while to get used to, so maybe you didn't give the 5100 much of a chance?

Going with the 610 will put you into "Full Frame" territory, which adds cost, especially for lenses, and the benefits for you would be minimal. The 600 model has problems, BTW, so avoid it.

The 5100 was OK I didnt hate it, but i want something better something more mid-high end. what i didn't like at all was the grip on the D5100 however, felt like my pinky finger was always hanging off (and no i dont want a grip) and was very uncomfortable to hold. Even the NEX6 felt way better.

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow