Personal Yea's and Nay's of HS50EXR

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Lisetta
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
Re: Personal Yea's and Nay's of HS50EXR
In reply to Sactojim, 10 months ago

Sactojim wrote:

Interesting read here and another users thoughts that run common with the HS50..not stellar IQ.

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/channel/reviewitem.asp?review=3263

A few quotes: "However, the quality of the image delivered by the camera’s default settings is where the camera’s performance dipped. Viewed at 100 per cent in Adobe Photoshop, test shots showed a fine ‘stippled’ quality which compromised sharpness and seemed to be exacerbated by any form of subsequent sharpening.

That was an interesting review, although I didn't understand the wistfulness for an electronic zoom. To me, that alone makes my choice "Fuji" (whether X-S1 or HS50 still to be determined).

He made a slight misstatement, too, indicating there was a hot shoe "for ext. flash or microphone". Yes, true, but more important to know is that there's an actual mic jack.

As for viewing at 100% in Photoshop and seeing the "fine 'stippled' quality? Is that a standard for camera reviews to test IQ or otherwise a desirable way for some reason? I ask because I am trying to fight the urge to pixel peep as it is and am judging the images based on the way I and others would normally be seeing them. I'd be interested, for example, in 11 x 14 prints or here or...? I was just a little surprised that they would be examined so closely in PS--then again, maybe that's just a way to let us know his method--"FYI".

btw, JPEG Shooter, I was impressed by your photos, esp. eagle at 1000mm and the lizard at what 400mm? Also interested in the advice you're getting re: tweaking the settings. Seems like another advantage of the HS50 because that kind of conversation can continue while X-S1s are becoming something of the past.

What will make you decide if you're going to keep it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow