Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Re: When will we see USB3?
In reply to sherman_levine, 7 months ago

sherman_levine wrote:

Fellwalker wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Fellwalker wrote:

Thanks Sherm. My SD card is 16GB class 10, so it does not fill that quickly. I would prefer not to move it in and out but the USB 2 port will not handle the card size. I used to use 2Gb cards but swapping them broke the little plastic bits between the contacts.

That's strange to hear. As I understand it, the original SD cards held up to 2gb (rarely 4), SDHC holds up to 32gb, and SDXC up to 2 TB.

I've never had a problem with SDHC 32gb cards in my notebooks - but can't read the SDXC cards without a newer external reader.

I carry 32gb cards - and sometimes I do fill up the card in a day - particularly if I overdo the burst, or do a few videos.

Bottom line - I'd try getting a new USB card reader. Make sure they'll handle SDHC, but I don't think you can even find one these days which doesn't. That should work fine with any USB port. The read/write speed for the card shouldn't matter at all in this context.

Sherm

Sorry I've confused you. The card reader (external or internal to the pc) works fine. Using USB to connect the camera to the PC fails for the 16GB SDHC card.

That's a surprise also. If you can write to a card with the camera, you ought to be able to see the folder via USB. My FZ200 works that way - As soon as I connect the USB port and turn the camera on, and select "PC" from the camera display, I see the card's folders in Windows Explorer.

Sherm

To close this aspect of the problem - that my camera will not transfer files from my 16GB card, I have finally found the error message on the canon site where it says

Communication error: An excessive amount of images (approx. 1,000) on the memory card prevented printing or image transfer to a computer. To transfer the images, use a commercially available USB card reader. To print, insert the memory card directly into the printer card slot.

I guess 3729 images is considered by Canon to be excessive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow