Personal Yea's and Nay's of HS50EXR

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,961
Like?
Re: Personal Yea's and Nay's of HS50EXR
In reply to JPEG Shooter, 6 months ago

Interesting read here and another users thoughts that run common with the HS50..not stellar IQ.

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/channel/reviewitem.asp?review=3263

A few quotes: "However, the quality of the image delivered by the camera’s default settings is where the camera’s performance dipped. Viewed at 100 per cent in Adobe Photoshop, test shots showed a fine ‘stippled’ quality which compromised sharpness and seemed to be exacerbated by any form of subsequent sharpening. Discussions with Fuji led to a slight improvement by setting both ‘sharpness’ and ‘noise reduction’ to +2, but potential users should note that the camera reverts to the default image quality setting of ‘normal’ when it is powered off and on again, so the preferred setting of ‘fine’ has to be re-entered prior to every use".

"The HS50EXR is not alone in resolving detail imperfectly, with Canon’s SX50 HS also showing artifacts, but to my eye they are more pronounced in the Fujifilm model. While most images would not be scrutinized in such detail, the results may be disappointing if you want to capture fine aspects of plumage, or perhaps detailed landscapes, and underline the fact that bridge cameras do not render the same quality produced by DSLRs".

" But investigate image quality carefully if you’re considering the HS50EXR, ideally by taking some test shots, to ensure that the results live up to your expectations".

I have the S200EXR and it has a fine lens with very good IQ, but it's somewhat slow to focus and tends to take me 2-3 times to lock focus. I also have a SX50 and it's definitely faster to focus and lock at the far end (love it's image stability) and am satisfied with it's IQ. That said, I do like the manual zoom (like my dslr's) of the Fuji.

Btw, just viewed your images..very nice indeed!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow