MFT I don't get it . . .

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Axford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145
Like?
Re: MFT is compatible with a variety of aspect ratios
In reply to Kazooless, 5 months ago

Kazooless wrote:

I see that they've added the ability to cover the other aspect ratios and you can't find the aspect ratio mentioned on the four-thirds.org pages any longer, but if you look at the actual patent, the 4/3 ratio is mentioned all over the place: http://www.google.com/patents/US6910814

That patent is for a specific camera, it is not defining the Four Thirds standard. Of course, all Four Thirds cameras that are commercially available use the 4:3 ratio, but that does not make it part of the standard.

Four Thirds at least originally referred to the chosen aspect ratio of 4 wide to 3 tall, just like the old TV sets, etc., as Wozniak points out in his article (linked to earlier).

I suspect Wozniak is wrong on this point. Wikipedia articles cannot be entirely relied upon either, but I have seen several that mention 4/3 as referring to the diameter in inches of the glass envelope of early video camera tubes (e.g. here and here) and I am inclined to believe them more than Wozniak.

The 4/3" interpretation is entirely consistent with one commonly used way of specifying compact camera sensor sizes as e.g. 1" or 1/1.7" or 1/2.3", etc.

Four Thirds fits this scale exactly if it is interpreted as meaning 4/3".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow