Beginner's question on A vs. M :)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?
Re: Beginner's question on A vs. M :)
In reply to Stacey_K, 9 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

Then you said about using M mode is " I think it indicates a deeper understanding of all the mechanics." ? Seriously?

Yes, I would start a beginner, my kids for example, on AP.  Explain DOF and let the camera take care of SS.    Of course I'd explain shutter speed but AP first for the artistic license.  And for exposure I'd get to that but stick with matrix metering first and then work over to manual.

But this is not the same thing as saying someone who uses AP doesn't understand the mechanics.  I use AP myself, that was the basis of my whole question, M with Auto ISO vs., AP with EC.

And unless you are trolling, why did you make the thread title " Beginner's question"? when clearly you believe you have a deeper understanding of all this because you are strictly a M mode user...

Not at all.   Just wanted to have a conversation.  The title was  half tongue-in-cheek and half serious.  I consider myself a beginner  when I read and see the work of some of the photographers on here.  

Happy shooting.  Some of my photos are on fickr under my user name wireless200.

best, David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow