So much for the EVF being insufficient for action.....

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
enemjii
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588Gear list
Like?
Re: 5 milliseconds is still too much - no need of burst photography
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 10 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

enemjii wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

enemjii wrote:

So are you telling me that "Action" photographers only take the ONE golden shot? I always thought they took a burst of shots with the hope that ONE of them be the right one.

The really good ones don't need to spray and pray.

Have you ever shot action photography professionally?

Of course not. I am not even a professional photographer. But I am quite technical and like to delve into matters that are not even my source of living as long as it is a hobby of mine. Such as photography.

It's neither "spray and pray" nor single shot. In some ways, it's like "f/8 and be there" - you have to know where to point the camera and when to press the shutter. The old rule is that if you see it in the viewfinder, you missed the shot. But most of the time, almost no one takes just a single shot because the action is not that predictable and reflexes are that not that fast. What's THE SHOT: the catch, the hit, or the fumble? Then again, no editor (including yourself) wants to sort through hundreds boring shots of the receiver simply running down field so you can't just lean on the shutter the entire play.

Sometimes it takes some luck to get the shot. But you increase your odds and make your luck count with the skill, discipline, and technology to be in the right place at the right time with the right gear.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Thank you Erik. Experience counts. The knowledge of the sports, be it cricket, football, soccer, car rally, is what gives the photographer the uncanny ability to be ready for the shot fraction of seconds before it happens. For example, take the picture below. I am sure the photographer did not have the foresight to see this coming, but I am sure she (Sarah Canterbury) was expecting it every time the ball was bowled, and was ready to snap, and snapped microseconds before this even occurred.

an uncanny knack for capturing the moment at which a batsman’s stumps go wonky

enemjii's gear list:enemjii's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NONew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow