Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)
In reply to boardsy, 6 months ago

boardsy wrote:

5nex7 wrote:

5nex7 wrote:

boardsy wrote:

5nex7 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Glad I read this little thread. I was thinking of getting one, but this put me off a bit. Maybe I should just get the SEL3518 instead.

The E35 is a nice little lens. But I am also expecting delivery of my Metabones SB (A-mount) tomorrow. The idea is primarily for portraiture. I will post feedback of my experiences here.

Interestingly enough, a lens I am really keen to see perform with SB is a cheap old Minolta 35-70/4. That lens is small and excellent wide open. On APSc, its weakness has been a limited range (50-105mm equiv), but with speed booster, it has the potential for a small and light 25-50/2.8 lens.

37 - 75mm / F2.8 ff equivalent on APS-C

I also have Minolta 70-210/4, which will become 50-150/2.8 with SB.

75 - 223mm / F2.8 ff equivalent on APS-C

Looking forward to the results.

And my 135/2.8 STF is really the lens I expect to use the most as it will become more useable as a portrait lens on APSc (95mm/2 equiv) when used on NEX-6 while a mid tele on a55 (200mm equiv).

143mm / F2 ff equivalent on APS-C

Yep, close to the FOV they were all intedended for while gaining on shutter speed.

IQ remains to be seen but on paper it looks very interesting. Based on the results, I might also convert my Contax Zeiss 50/1.7 to A-mount and that will give me an effective 35/1.2 APSc lens on SB.

Yes, IQ remains to be seen.

I have my doubts.. if I believe that a filter in front of a lens will degrade the IQ - and I do believe this, how could I believe that a complex optical system behind the lens would not degrade it, more, it would improve the image ?

FDn 50/1.4 at f2.8 + Zhongyi Lens Turbo:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Very nice demo for shallow, full-frame-like depth of field.

I am curios if you can have also frame wide sharpness at F11.

... or frame wide sharpness at F5.6 on a flat subject.

I have to ask - if you need frame-wide sharpness on a flat subject at f5.6-f11, why not use the APS-C crop dumb adapter for best corners? There's no benefit to using a focal reducer in that scenario.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

I try to say that people talk about the benefits of this kind of "not dumb" adapters don't say about the trade-offs.

They tell you that you will turn your APS + lens into full frame like.

It is true about shallow depth of field, it may be true about increased resolution in the center and one stop aperture gain, but you will not use the lens like you will use it on a full frame - if you want sharpness across the frame you can not have it, so the use is limited.

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow