Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

Started Feb 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
boardsy Senior Member • Posts: 2,214
Re: Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

WT21 wrote:

5nex7 wrote:

Yes, IQ remains to be seen.

I have my doubts.. if I believe that a filter in front of a lens will degrade the IQ - and I do believe this, how could I believe that a complex optical system behind the lens would not degrade it, more, it would improve the image ?

I know that there are cheap "universal" tele-adapters which will destroy your image, and expensive, dedicated tele-adapters, matched with high quality 70-200/F2.8 lenses, which will only degrade the image...

Agree, but I would think it's theoretically possible to get a sharper/brighter center, at the expense of the edges. For certain uses, that might be an acceptable trade-off, but, IMO, only for an adapter that cost <$150. I wouldn't pay metabones pricing for it.

I thought the whole point of a SB/LT was sharper center, more OOF shallow DoF visible (not more/less DoF per se of course) and more light for faster shutter speeds. The fact that the edges are sharp enough on my FDn's is a welcome if unexpected bonus!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow