Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,406
Like?
12-40 with E-M1 or without?
In reply to Pikme, 8 months ago

Pikme wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I've also shot my fair amount of pretty good images with the 12-50mm (OK, good if you like my style - if not, they probably s*ck).

But in lesser light, the lens struggles and gasps for air.

Exactly my impression of the 12-50.

Usually not a problem for me, since we've rarely had a cloud in the sky for several years...but the lack of sharpness/resolution does become noticeable when the ambient contrast is lower. Then I could use the 14-45 (but have to think about lack of weather sealing also). I will get the 12-40 when I get the EM1 (or its successor).

I actually considered also getting the E-M1.

Bundled, there is quite a price difference with getting lens and camera separate.

But I am confident that the 12-40 will be a more useful upgrade for me than the E-M1, so I decided to sit on the largest bulk of my budget.

The E-M5 is still plenty of camera, and I actually prefer its customizability and look over that of the E-M1: although I do not often detach the first part of the grip, it is nice to have that option and make the camera quite small (with a prime like the 20mm).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow