Birding with a 500mm F4 or 600mm F4

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 786Gear list
Like?
Re: Birding with a 500mm F4 or 600mm F4
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 8 months ago

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I have this new Tamron item on preorder at Lensrentals. Roger says it's good. If the Canon guys can get good sharpness and contrast with this thing, and it appears from the Flickr group linked above that they can, there's no telling where the D800/e might wind up. Imagine quality 600mm for a thousand bucks and 2.7 lbs. :^)

there are some really nice shots on that link - better than the review that was posted a week or so ago which showed a big drop off in edge IQ above 450mm (although I am more interested in centre sharpness). Not many of the bird shots are shot wide open though at 600mm with the majority F8 or higher. Still, at that price you can't complain.

To 'engbert', this lens could become a big seller but I see it as a competitor to the 80-400 so I am looking for something that will give me more - viz ability to hold a TC to give me 700/800mm plus. Certainly worth keeping an eye on it.

-- hide signature --

Andy

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow