Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,656Gear list
Like?
Re: Out taking photos with them? :-)
In reply to Habs Fan27, 6 months ago

boardsy wrote:

Habs Fan27 wrote:

Are any of these photos cropped? I was thinking of getting an FD Lens Turbo but many people have said that you only get good sharpness in the 1/3rd around the center.

I have a recently acquired 24mm f2 FD . From what I have read, the corners will be no better than the SEL 16 pancake and probably worse with the LT

I haven't done a lot of shooting at 24mm + LT, but with good FDn's - 35/2, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 - I get good sharpness to the edges, much better than i expected to be honest and i would have happily lived with soft edges. I guess the FDn's are just that good! The robin is almost 100% crop, but the others aren't, except the portrait architectural shot, which had a very minor crop around +7 barrel distortion correction to straighten the lines - you can see it's sharp right into the corner at f5.6 on the FDn 50/1.4!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

OK, thanks for the reply.  It sounds like like the LT is very lens specific.  Many seem to have good success with it using the 50mm f1.4.  I used to have the SSC version of this lens.  Never really like 50mm on APS-C I find it both too long and too short but would be great with LT.

I might see if I can get a used LT to try out then.  I'd like to try it with my 85mm as well.  I don't think it will work well with the 24mm f2.

I think LT and SB performance does depend a bit on the lens quality. I should know for sure shortly.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow