What is your idea of "the lens gap?"

Started 10 months ago | Polls thread
Marty4650
Forum ProPosts: 10,045Gear list
Like?
Tom
In reply to TomFid, 10 months ago

Dpreview might not be a good sample of the "buying public in general" but it an excellent sample group for anyone thinking of selling very expensive lenses.

The general public doesn't visit this site. Only photo enthusiasts do, and these are the people who might think a $500 lens is cheap, and a $1,000 lens is a good value.

The general public is very happy with their cell phone cameras, and Dpreview has a site especially for them.

What really struck me about this poll is that despite having 72 different lenses available, the users have identified around a dozen more they would like to see, and very likely buy.

My budget would prevent me from buying a 300mm f/2.8 lens, but a much cheaper and more compact 300mm f/4.0 really sounds appealing to me. I would never buy a TSE lens, but there are plenty of others who would. And everyone seems to want more fast primes, and faster zooms. We already have four very nice pancake lenses but there still is a demand for more. Especially in a 25mm lens.

All the doom and gloom about market share doesn't worry me. MILC cameras already have 20% of the ILC market, and around 10% of the overall market. This much volume provides enough economies of scale to be profitable. And people are always willing to pay a little bit more to get exactly what they want. If that wasn't true, then everyone would own a Nikon D3200 two lens kit they bought at Target, Costco or Walmart.

I think the future is bright for us.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
TomNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow