Any talk of new lenses or a roadmap at all for E-Mount?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Habs Fan27
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
Re: If the Zeiss 16-70mm was f2.8 I'd be happy as a clam
In reply to Smiller4128, 7 months ago

Smiller4128 wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

I'd really rather stick with the Sony but it's been awhile since E mount has seen a new lens and it's a little worrisome.

What is "awhile" to you? Did the 18-105 not just come out like a month ago, and the Zeiss 50 Macro just announced as available?

Should I hang in there with the Sony or should I switch to the Olympus E-M1 and 12-40mm Pro?

Does the 12-40 do something that the SZ 16-70 doesn't? What other lenses are you looking for?

If I was in the market for the best collection of top-notch zooms along with overall great IQ, I might look at Fuji, not M4/3s.

It would be my one and only zoom lens and I'd be perfectly happy. But there's no f2.8 zooms like what Olympus has with their 12-40mm pro lens.

Like I said, I really don't want to give up my little NEX6 as it's chock full of potential, but only if there's a dedicated lens lineup to take advantage of it

Question is why do you want a 2.8 lens?  Is it for shallow DOF capabilities or for faster shutter speeds? (or both)

A 2.8 lens on m4/3 will give a similar DOF to an f4 lens on APS-C.  The only advantage you are gaining is a 1 stop shutter speed.  APS-C generally has better high ISO noise performance so you can up your ISO to equalize.  I would guess that you will get similar image quality from the 16-70 and the 12-40.  The Zeiss will have a longer reach + is smaller and lighter depending on how much that is important to you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow