Beginner's question on A vs. M :)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,637Gear list
Like?
Re: M is not the holy grail.. :)
In reply to Robin Casady, 5 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

Are you referring to the daughter of Christ, the cauldron of Celtic mythology that brought dead warriors back to life so they could continue fighting, or the cup Monty Python was seeking?

Yes

One thing about staying with one mode is that you get used to it and can operate the adjustments by muscle memory.

agree

I rarely use anything but M because I rarely need to shoot quickly. When I do use an auto mode, I have to think about it if I need to change EC.
For someone who primarily uses an auto mode, using M could be a pain because they would have to think about it.

agree totally

I guess if you shoot enough in both modes you would get used to both, but that would take a lot of shooting.

it depends how dextrous and flexible (mentally) you are.. I'm not particularly. I know what my camera's meter is going to suggest most of the time and am happy to use A and assume in advance, EC.

If I do get contre jour I'll spot meter and work from that; although AF point meter bias sometimes negates that as well.. depending on the amount of subject in the frame and its brightness.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow