Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
TonyinJapan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin Wong is this inconsistent?
In reply to neilm16, 7 months ago

neilm16 wrote:

I love reading his blog and do think he seems very honest and seems happy to reply etc.

However I did notice something which doesnt appear to be consistent and this could be a genuine error.

If you look here Robin talks about the 20mm f1.7

http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/panasonic-lumix-20mm-f17-pancake-lens.html

And notice he says...

Even at 20mm, thanks to the F1.7 wide aperture, I can render very good bokeh. The bokeh is creamy, smooth and very desirable.

Great you think! big plus....

Then I noticed this... when talking about the newer 17mm f1.8.. http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/olympus-mzuiko-17mm-f18-review-street.html

I find the out of focus rendering of the 17mm F1.8 to be very smooth, creamy and pleasing to look at. I remember complaining about the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 for having very harsh bokeh and distracting out of focus rendering, even at F1.7 widest open aperture. I am glad to see Olympus 17mm can create much more pleasing out of focus look in the image.

So if it is a simple error fair enough but does seem somewhat inconsistent...

As is mentioned, perhaps he changed his opinion.

However, I was interested in reading about the resolution comments of his 17mm review and if he mentions any comparison with the 20mm f1.7, like he does with the ‘Bokeh’ section, but there is no comparison. It is generally well-accepted that the 20mm is sharper than the 17mm.

The 17mm is a good lens and the bokeh is very nice, but I always found the sharpness shot wide-open to be trailing behind Panasonic’s offerings. It is sharp enough for most needs, but does not have that ‘super-sharp/micro-contrast’ renderings of either the 20mm f1.7 and 25mm f1.4, from my own shooting experience. I think even the 12-32mm is sharper than the 17mm at the same FOV and the zoom’s widest-aperture in my tests (which shows that either the zoom is really sharp or the 17mm prime is not has sharp as it should be for a prime, which way you want to look at it).

Anyway, I hope when Robin compares the Oly 25mm and PL25mm, if the PL25mm is really better than the Oly in some areas, he can simply state it ‘as is’.

-- hide signature --
 TonyinJapan's gear list:TonyinJapan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow