PIX 2015

Green Birds , Fast Sharp lens , Light AA Flter = ?

Started Feb 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Forum ProPosts: 12,724Gear list
Green Birds , Fast Sharp lens , Light AA Flter = ?
Feb 3, 2014

Actually a bit of a mess some times. I don't shoot captive birds so I seldom shoot bright green parrots etc. I too my grand daughter to butterfly word where they had a whole lot of rehabilitated Parrots. ( Pets that became unfashionable)

Any way I took a few shoots of the . I was using the E-5 and the Sigma 105. Mainly wide open due to the light.

When I looked at these pictures I did not notice anything as they where not that good anyway . In browsing through I zoomed in on this picture and bang it was there. At  bright green bird with moire. Not a bit but with the feather structure is totally destroyed ,  this was on the RAW as well .

Lousy picture.

Closer look.

I had a look at a few other green birds and found other strange unwanted stuff.

OK these are not that good ether with the moire and artifact not that pronounced. .

Overall picture ( Not great)

I found this. On the ends of the feathers.  This is a 600pxel crop of the picture and upscale a bit but I noticed a ladder type artifact on the edge of some feathers.

I noticed this when zooming in and out it only happens at some scales so I assume its frequency and display and digital rubbish. This is a screen snip up scaled.

On this image as you can see the lens is resolving down to pixel level. I have never had this situation before although I have never used a fast sharp lens on so much fine detail green before under these lighting conditions. The other lenses  like  the bigma and 50-200 +EC's are softer and softness probably doing  the work of the AA filter.

Peter  (Messier Object) Had a similar issue with a green parrot.

OK so what  is it Green + Sharp Lens + AA filter + Lighting combo ?

-- hide signature --

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Olympus E-5 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow