Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
willym
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
Re: Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 5 months ago

I was never happy with my focal reducer.

I bought mine a Jinfinance; a FD version. I tested it with an FDn 50mm f1.4, 28mm f2.8 and 135mm f3.5, along with an original FD 35mm f3.5 and Vivitar MC 24mm f2.8 - all of which take shots with a dumb adapter that I am pleased with.

But on the focal reducer? Wow these lenses became soft. This included the centre of the frame too. By about 1/3rd from the centre to the edge, the photos were completely unusable, to the extent where blades of grass on the 50mm just looked like a single green rug. You would have to crop to a tighter field of view than the APS-C crop to get an image even remotely usable (at which point, just use the dumb adapter). My copy also focussed past infinity, which was annoying.

Only on the 24mm was the focal reducer half good, at which point I'd rather use the SEL16f2.8.

I'm not bashing focal reducers. I assume that mine was just a duff, but the website stated that it may make your images softer, so they didn't have to accept a return. Shame, but given how much these have come down in price I felt it was worth a punt. Maybe not two punts however

If a friend was selling a copy that they had good results from at a fair price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

willym's gear list:willym's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow