Contributing MemberPosts: 887Gear list
Like?
Re: that would be nice!
In reply to Alan Brown, 7 months ago

Alan Brown wrote:

windsprite wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

There is no advantage to M.

I prefer manual (auto ISO off) for most situations when the light isn't changing rapidly. You set the exposure once and don't have to worry about a bright background or whatever fooling the meter like you do in one of the auto modes

It would be even better if Nikon did M like Pentax, where you can link the shutter speed and aperture so that if you change one, the other changes automatically to keep the same exposure

Doing so is no longer M but essentially programmed (P) where Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO are linked to provide a set exposure value.

M means exactly that - full manual control - you set your own shutter speed, aperture and ISO based on what you want the exposure outcome to be.  If using an exposure meter - built-in or external to determine the exposure value then you may as well let the camera does it automatically.

I don't see Nikon doing it though

Julie

When you shoot A and use the exact exposure the meter tells you, you just shot the same shot as M and vice versa. using exposure compensation is quick.

In other words, there are many ways to do this and NONE of them are dumb, they just take longer.

Stacey_K wrote:

Lets say you are shooting in M and go from shooting indoors to outside. You were using F5.6 inside and want F4 for the shot outside.

In M mode you walk outside, change the fstop and (while watching the meter) go from 1/30 to 1/1000 (quite a lot of dial rotation). And then you realize you actually need 1 stop of EC so turn the dial back 1 stop.

In A mode you walk outside, change the fstop and turn 1 stop of EC.

The other thing, lets say you walk outside and THERE is the shot. In A mode you press the shutter and at least get something you can possibly work with. In M mode the shot would be a dozen stops over exposed or you simply would miss the moment.

For me, I wonder what the advantage of M would be? I use M in the studio with controlled lighting, the rest of the time I use A.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

-- hide signature --

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains
(central planning, low fuel consumption, largely egalitarian seating).
Right-wingers like cars (freedom, independence, individualism). Only
the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty
and equality." This is the first paragraph from a short article titled
"The Bicycle is Best" by Emma Duncan

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow