Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
TonyinJapan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050Gear list
Like?
Re: Trusting Robin Wong
In reply to Michael J Davis, 8 months ago

Michael J Davis wrote:

I don't know how he'll change in the future, but he's only recently become an Olympus employee, and has promised to 'tell it as it is'.

I wonder what it means for Robin to be ‘an Olympus employee’? What his role actually is? Of course, he would be expected to share good news of the latest releases, answer questions prospective buyers may have, offer support and suggestions where needed, and test/share photos that he has taken.

Being an employee though, I am sure he cannot be down the line ‘brutally honest’ and advise prospective buyers to buy a Panasonic lens instead when it is actually a better lens than an Olympus alternative.

His credibility is enhanced in my eyes by his various statements about Olympus lenses that he doesn't like (eg 17mm).

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read, it seems like he does not like the lens due to the field-of-view, not because of any characteristics/image quality of the lens itself.

I was withholding judgement until I've seen the way he handles the comparison with the Panny-Leica 25mm.

Same here. But with Robin not being an owner of the lens, I wonder if he understands the weaknesses and strengths of non-Olympus lenses to make a worthwhile comparison? For example, to compare the purple fringing open wide between the two lenses (which the PL25mm is known to exhibit), or show which lens resolves better (which the PL25mm is know to be superb, especially around f1.8-2.8), and to say which is the better even if it is not the Olympus lens.

Will have to wait and see…

-- hide signature --
 TonyinJapan's gear list:TonyinJapan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow