tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,856Gear list
Like?
Re: This bright background rendering
In reply to micksh6, 8 months ago

micksh6 wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

Acrill wrote:

So use your eyes and look at the pictures.

How else would I look at them

Perhaps you might look at them through a prism of perception of Robin being an Olmpus employee = bias.

If there is nothing wrong with the pictures then there is nothing wrong with the lens. Lenses are tools for creating pictures.

The pictures are web images and he only gives 100% crops of certain areas in certain pictures. He doesn't take any night shots and only one with the sun in the frame and maybe none with it just outside of it. I don't even think flare is mentioned. There is also the possibility he's manipulated them in post.

Does it matter? I want to point out pictures like this

http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-review-part-1.html

and several other pictures in that review too, where bright colorful background fades so nicely. I have had PanaLeica 25mm F1.4 lens for 2 years but I've never seen so nice bright bokeh from this lens. This kind of bokeh I can see from Olympus 45mm F1.8mm and 75mm F1.8 lenses, but not from PL 25mm.

I generally agree. The PL25 is not a bokeh king. However, that example you cited may not be overly challenging - the in-focus subject is close by and we can only guess what the background is like in detail - and there are more challenging situations such as this one:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2cJZ7d09eec/Uu5NzfkwXWI/AAAAAAAAdP8/MsMenMINuP0/s1600/P1010006.jpg

In other words, wide open, with the in-focus subject at a decent distance - several metres at least. This is where the PL25 fails almost certainly, and the 1.8 apparently back down to earth too. The PL25 can give very pleasing results with the subject close by and with even just a little of stopping down (say to 1.8 or 2).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow