Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,513
Like?
Size, versatility and the options that the system offers
In reply to Paul De Bra, 8 months ago

Paul De Bra wrote:

He states that the 25mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8 are quite similar but "25mm of course is larger". Why would that be "of course"? I would expect that a 25mm f/1.8 can be made smaller than a 45mm f/1.8.

We'll have to see some unbiased (not by an Olympus employee) reviews and spectacular shots to make me replace my outstanding 20mm pancake lens with the new 25mm. The first shots are nice and the bokeh is from a different world (than that of the 20mm which is awful) but at the given price point it better be a good lens. It's not like the $100 plastic fantastic 50mm f/1.8 I used with Canon...

I also have the 20mm F1.7 Panasonic and am not about to replace it anytime soon.

The 25mmF1.4 PanaLeica was never really an option for me, because it would be the identical smaller brother of the 25mm F1.4 PL that I already have in FT mount (that one focuses reasonably well on the E-M5, by the way, but it is huge).

But you are right about relative sizes : one would expect the 45mm to be larger.

Whenever I handle that gem of a lens, I am always amazed how much goodness can be packed in such a small package and at such an attractive price. It really is one of the best deals in µFT.

The PL 20mm and Oly 45mm were also used extensively in the past year, because of the slow aperture values of the 12-50mm : a world of difference.

When I get a 12-40, the 20mm and 45mm will offer less advantage in speed over the zoom, but I am not going to retire them, because they remain useful, if only for their diminutive size.

That, BTW, is one of the beauties of the system (and particularly of the E-M5, more than of the E-M1): with the size customizability that the dual-grip offers, I can turn my camera from a fully articulated semi-SLR into a semi-compact in no time.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow