Looking for opinions from those who have upgraded from D300/s to D600/610

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,745Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for opinions from those who have upgraded from D300/s to D600/610
In reply to NikonMike, 10 months ago

It is difficult to answer because you are perhaps mistakenly under the impression Nikon is somehow not committed to DX - despite selling at least 4 (and probably more) DX bodies for each FX body.

Nikon make more money if people change (I avoid the word upgrade) from DX to FX as FX bodies cost more and there is a good chance they will also buy new high priced FX lenses

Digressing slightly the 24-70 at 24 mm is not good in the corners of FX at 24 mm. Better corner quality is possibly with the 14-24 with the equivalent zoom setting on DX.

Either the D7100 or D600/610 give you significantly better noise, greater dynamic range, more resolution in the image, better video if you use it and better AF than your D300. Either also has a faster fps than a D300 if you shoot 14 bit for maximum quality.

I use the D7100 alongside the D800. The D800 has no general resolution advantage in a 20 inch wide print because 24 MP delivers more resolution at base ISO than the eye can resolve.

Each format has advantages and disadvantages perhaps 15% of the time and is about equal for most of the time.

I think the D7100 is a slightly better built camera than D600/610 and is significantly better value for money. I suggest you add the D7100 on your short list.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Great images are often of good subjects.
If they are great images does what lens, body or technique was used matter more than the skill of the photographer?

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow