In reply to havoc315, 7 months ago

havoc315 wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

Alphoid wrote:

In 2013 and 2013, we saw:

• E-Mount: A5000, A7, A7r, A3000, NEX-5T, NEX3N
  • A-Mount: A58

E-mount also had 7 new lenses, while A-mount had just one (50mm f/1.4), and three minor updates.

Is A-mount on life support?

Well for cameras, the A58 and NEX3N were announced together. The A3000 was announced at the end of August and was available in mid September. The NEX 5T and A7/r were announced together in mid October and available for Christmas. The A5000 isn't available yet.

As for lenses, 5 of the e-mount lenses are full frame to go with the first full frame e-mounts. Only 2 of those are currently available separately. 1 is the kit lens for the A7. 1 is about to ship and the last doesn't have a firm release date yet. Then there are the 2 APS-C e-mounts. Both of them are basically standard zooms to fill a serious gap in the e-mount line. Before the 18-105mm PZ and 16-70mm, you only had the 18-200mm as an alternative to kit lenses. Contrast that worth what you have for APS-C A-Mount (18-55mm SAM & SAM II, 16-50mm, 16-105mm, 18-135mm, 16-80mm, 18-200mm).

In general things look very e-mount heavy, but it's only looked like that since the end of summer, 5 months tops. If things keep going this way then maybe you have a point. But right now I'm not at all worried.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

Unfortunately, it's been longer than that. Late 2012 brought the Nex 6 and Nex 5r.

We've gone nearly a year and half with only one new a-mount. An underwhelming model with very little promotion.

The top selling Sony "dslr" on Amazon, by a wide margin, is the e-mount A3000.

Meanwhile, it appears the A7000 will release soon, with no new a-mount in sight.

My conclusion is that the a-mount is on life support. Sony may be undecided whether to resuscitate (with updated models), or whether to simply pull the plug.

You can't compare a mostly consumer e-mount line to what will be less consumer oriented A-mount line. You have to look at the normal patterns..

See my post below.. NO CAMERA MODELS ARE LATE ON RENEWAL except the A37 which I think that level will be an e-mount domain only from now on. I expect there to be only one a-mount released below $1000 each year to compete with the Top Rebel. Sony will do e-mount and Canon will try to make the SL1 cameras smaller because they failed on EOS M badly, not even releasing EOS M2 outside of Asia.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

If it's not a consumer oriented product, then it may as well be dead.

Almost all semi pro users were entry level users at some point, and most grow within their system.

People don't jump from smart phone/p&s into a $1500+ dSLR.

They jump into a $500 a37... Then their interest and expertise grows.. They invest in glass.. They eventually buy a more advanced body.

If Sony gives up on selling a-mount to entry level users, then the a-mounts days are truly numbered.

Someone who enters into the e-mount system, will grow within that system. It's not like their lenses will work on an a-mount camera.

Those people claiming Sony's plan is to use the a-mount only for premium users...,that's delusion. It would be doomed to long term failure.

Sorry but the illusion of the plastic to FF user is just not true.

Most Rebel users probably use the kit lens and one Telephoto..

but you do become accustom to brands and ways things are done..

my KM 5D had 3 lenses. Only one for a couple of months did I move to my A700. Then I bought a lot of lenses.. People who shoot Mirrorless because it works well and is small that don't know they want to move up will get a new camera and better lenses.

It would be silly to by a $1200 A79 and put your $80 Kit on it.. etc. When you make the jump you get better gear period.. and those using used lenses can also like I have with my other hobby build on used better camera.

I would take a used A65 / A57 over an A37 any day.

-- hide signature --

Actually, I use quite a few cheap lenses on my $2,000 a99. None of my current lenses cost me over $300.

And yes.. Most Canon Rebel users never significantly upgrade.
But you're looking in the wrong direction--- virtually all Canon 1d owners started with an entry level Canon years before. And as they got more serious, they upgraded gradually.

Same with Sony a99 shooters. Very very few Canon Rebel shooters jumped into the a99. Most a99 shooters were A-mount shooters before, owned entry level a-mounts before.

I've been shooting Minolta/Sony for 20 years. For many years, I shot with basic kit lenses. Over time, I upgraded glass and bodies. First, I added a couple lenses. When time to buy a new body, of course I wanted a camera that worked with my existing lenses, even if they were pretty basic. Then I started to add slightly higher quality class... Then when time to upgrade to a mid level model, again... I didn't want to trash/resell my 5 or 6 lenses.... And as my gear continued to grow.. Eventually 2 a-mount flashes, 10 a-mount lenses... Half of which were full frame... When I found myself ready for a full frame camera.. The a99 was a natural extension.

Lets ask-- A99 shooters on this board, how many of you were not already a-mount shooters?

You don't get it...

Sony invented the cheap DSLR with the A200. Canon never had a cheap rebel until after Sony did .. Rebels were $800-900

And yet somehow.. Canon built a following.. cultivated a market.

Sony has along with Olympus invented the "smaller than a DSLR still teaches you to collect lenses" mirrorless camera

Canon tried to counter without giving the users anything much.. EOS M.. Not so good. Not even being sold in the US.

Those that know they want a DSLR will get the one APC that will be left in the system below $1000 or they will get something more convenient. And if they need better AF.. which they may not.. they will get an A-mount adapter or that DSLR and move over. They already bought a Sony.. and liked it. The have been trained to buy lenses unlike the old P&S people.

Why would they not give Sony as much a chance as Canon if they feel the need to expand their photography.

From my reading.. Sony is selling some A99 as an addition to an existing Pro system I suspect Sony is more likely to sell an A99 to a Canon shooting PRO that has $20K in gear then they are to a A37 owner.. A7/A7R just exploits that behavior.. sure some will buy it as a first camera.. some will be e-mount upgraders.. but many will be adding it to their current system and because Sony built the camera to be adapted from day one.. its an easy move.. Now they have hands on and favorable Sony experience..

Call it the Trojan Mirrorless camera.. Now more of them will add a SLT body as they see the value.

Sony is #3 they will be for a long time if not for ever.. Doesn't matter to them if the Pro buys the A99 and keeps the Canon for some stuff as long as they buy an A99.. And maybe a back up if they start using it for Paid shoots.

The key move was to make people stop thinking of Sony as Cybershot and Walkmans..

Check.. that has been done ...

Lets bring some more people in..

Coming in 2014..

A59 or A66 APC Release price $800-$900 better than the A58 4K video.. The A58 shoots 1080P something Canon can't offer in a 5D MKIII

Canon suffers from a problem.. when you own so much share.. you become your own competitor so you can't put too much in a Rebel or you lose a 7D sale too much in a 6D and you lose a 5DMKII too much in a 5DMKIII and you lose a 1Dx Its Why EOS M didn't make it.. they cynically thought Canon on a Mirrorless would get them Sony Share but they had to make sure it didn't cost them DSLR share. Didn't work..people chose the more capable camera.. the DSLR influence didn't transfer over function..

Sony on the other hand.. competes with everyone. Sometimes an A65 costs them a77 sale but most of the time it was Nikon or Canon that lost that sale.. so they will give away more

So coming by May.. (August at the latest) A79.. The lowest cost.. 4K / FF Hybrid DSLR at $1399 ... This is a guess based on how much the A77 gave the user in 2011 and Sony's two obsessions of late.. 4K video and FF cameras that shift the market.

Then later in the year..

A99r 36 MP improved SLT that transfers 80% of light also shoots 4K. And beats the heck out of the 5DMKIII in Dynamic range as the A7r already has.. Any one who loves the A7r but wants more.. will want one too.

Its not FIVE as rumord but its gives them a line of 4 SLT cameras.... but its all Sony needs this year to build on the attention the A7/A7r got them.. both of which can not replace a full DSLR style camera .. but fill a need many pros are enjoying.

in 2014 the A99 and the A59 get updated..

Its Chess, not checkers..

The win is growth of the over all market share and helping keep the overall imaging brand strong from Cybershot to industrial 4K video.. can't have a missing link in the middle can we? Can't make the Pros or even the e-mount users get a reason to get squirmy on them.. so A-mount lives it has to.. or it becomes a doubt anchor for anyone wanting a system to build on.

-- hide signature --

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow