olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,761
Like?
Re: The worst thing about the V1...
In reply to samfan, 7 months ago

samfan wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

But I bet you have the AF on...

Well yea, if you're not using AF, you're probably not particularly concerned about speed anyway.

However, I now tried how the camera behaves in MF. It meters differently. Where with AF it gives me 1/125 when pointed at the lightbulb, with MF it measures 1/50 and therefore overexposes. So yea on one hand it changes the meter a bit faster but also incorrectly.

I'd even say the camera doesn't even use matrix metering in MF. That's what it looks like.

Something must be wrong with your camera, because mine does not behave like that.

Anyway, another thing which I forgot yesterday was the VR. The VR slows the focus down, especially if you quickly move the camera like you have to do in this situation. I had mine on yesterday, which extends the time.

I only know that the D300s required the same time as the V1 in my tests before.

It may be the case that the D300 behaves similarly to D200, i.e. the metered exposure changes significantly as you move around (in my case, moving the composition of the lightbulb) so it may seem that it takes a while to adjust while it's just the case of the exposure meter 'jumping' a lot. The exposure should really be immediate with D300, while it's obviously not with V1.

Another thing which causes delay is the preview, which can not be switched off completely, and even if you quickly half press the shutter release it still steals some time and causes unnecessary lag. The D200 and the D300/D300s can switch it off and is also faster in killing the preview when you press the shutter release.

I don't think this is an issue in real life.

Probably not often, but it definitely can be for some situations, as some people here have already commented. I'm pretty sure I'd encounter it as well if I'd be using the V1 in the same way as I tend to use my DSLRs. Especially with long lenses it's pretty easy to get very varying shutter speeds as you follow some object.

It's not a DSLR. Period. Never the less it has strengths even over some, if not all, professional DSLRs, but of course it has weaknesses also. It is however not made for replacing a DSLR in general, and if you want DSLR behavior than you must buy a DSLR.

Never the less, I must yet see a situation where 2 second delay between extremely high exposure differences can cause a problem in real life. This is a typical non-issue created by the Internet. Of course, I can "design" a situation where this can be a problem, but please show me a real image which was missed or describe a situation which is probable. Even if I have to drag my camera quickly out of the bag and have to take an image of something brightly lit which might give me a million dollars the time it takes to lift the camera to my eye is longer than two seconds, so no, I don't buy this as a problem. The only problem is if the user has set the "Shutter button AE lock" item to ON. That can really cause missed shots and a lot of headache because the delay will be between 9 and as much as 13 seconds.

Also a side effect of this behavior is what I've already seen when I was trying my c-mount lens. The display takes a long time to readjust the exposure/brightness after taking every shot. I thought it's just the display behavior but apparently it's actually the metering itself.

Once again, you can ignore the display. If you want a quicker adjust you must do two things.

1. Set "Shutter button AE lock" item to OFF.
  2. Half press the shutter once the composition is about right. Remember that you may need to release again once you have the final composition if the AF point is not on the spot you want to have in focus.

...but if you just press the shutter release all the way the camera will not expose the image before the metering is done. The display may look over or underexposed, but the image will be right. That's at least the way my camera behaves when I have the "Shutter button AE lock" item set to OFF.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow