Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D610 help!!!

Started Feb 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Press Correspondent
Press Correspondent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345
Better choices

I would suggest neither. 5D3 is a better body, but its advantages are wasted with 24-105. if you want to make portraits, Nikon's skin tones might be problematic, especially in artificial light. Nikon has a slight DR advantage, but in real life it is applicable to a very narrow range of cases and requires special processing of RAW files. Realistically it only helps to save a shot if the flash did not fire. In most other cases Canon's DR is sufficient. Therefore I would suggest different choices for you to consider.

If you are after the best value, then a 6D kit with 24-105 may be your best option. Better AF than D610 (don't be mislead by a large number of useless AF points), much better skin tones, virtually the same resolution, also no banding, better DR than 5D3, Wi-Fi and GPS, plus IS on the lens. Below is a handheld shot on the long end of 105mm at 1/3 sec with IS.

If you are after the best image quality, get 5D3 with 24-70/2.8 II. This would also allow you in the future to upgrade to faster primes and shoot shallow DOF portraits with the superior AF without recomposing.

If I had no equipment and was buying a camera today, it would probably be Sony A7r with 55/1.8.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Yxa
(unknown member)
Yxa
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Mako2011 MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow