Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D610 help!!!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
Better choices
In reply to PSKR, 7 months ago

I would suggest neither. 5D3 is a better body, but its advantages are wasted with 24-105. if you want to make portraits, Nikon's skin tones might be problematic, especially in artificial light. Nikon has a slight DR advantage, but in real life it is applicable to a very narrow range of cases and requires special processing of RAW files. Realistically it only helps to save a shot if the flash did not fire. In most other cases Canon's DR is sufficient. Therefore I would suggest different choices for you to consider.

If you are after the best value, then a 6D kit with 24-105 may be your best option. Better AF than D610 (don't be mislead by a large number of useless AF points), much better skin tones, virtually the same resolution, also no banding, better DR than 5D3, Wi-Fi and GPS, plus IS on the lens. Below is a handheld shot on the long end of 105mm at 1/3 sec with IS.

If you are after the best image quality, get 5D3 with 24-70/2.8 II. This would also allow you in the future to upgrade to faster primes and shoot shallow DOF portraits with the superior AF without recomposing.

If I had no equipment and was buying a camera today, it would probably be Sony A7r with 55/1.8.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow