D800 or d800e??

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,086Gear list
Like?
Re: Used D800 and D800e for months side by side...
In reply to nikonuserinfo, 9 months ago

nikonuserinfo wrote:

Copter01 wrote:

Hi

I am a Amateur, mainly landscape photographer.

Go for "e"

I don't upgrade often, but when i do i buy decent gear that will last me.

i am about to upgrade from a D200 to a D800 but not sure whether to get the e. usually reviews are sufficient, but it is difficult to quantify the difference between the two. I have a few questions?

I was using both D800 and D800e for months side by side. You can read my findings here and here.

- Reviews say that Moire, at least problematic moire is rare on the e. Is that peoples experience here?

I was afraid of that, but it's not a problem at all. Only for fashion photographers I would advice the normal D800.

Itested especially in studio for moire while shooting clothing. Capture NX2 RAW processing also helps to get rid of occasional moire.

- i have decent lenses, and wish to be able to print, periodically, pretty big. At what size, and at what apertures do people find the difference between the two can be identified.

Wide open while shooting quality glass D800e images are significantly sharper.

- is there much of a difference in quantity of sharpening needed for the 800 vs e?

D800e used with high quality lenses often doesn't need sharpening at all.

thanks in advance for responses.

It was a pleasure.

-- hide signature --

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info
My former Dpreview profiles ( For which I do not have the Original email address anymore)
Stany Buyle
Photoforfun

For what it's worth I have had an identical experience. My D800E is my first choice every time, it's perfect for landscape work and I no longer sharpen images. My D800 often required a small amount of sharpening despite the resolution. Buy good glass and it will reward you. My D800 is about to be converted to 720nm Infrared. Images are on my website at www.russbarnes.co.uk

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow