F31fd: Is this still the magical camera? Locked

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
This thread is locked.
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600Gear list
Re: F550 and newer are the magical cameras ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 6 months ago

Kim Letkeman wrote:

DS21 wrote:

technicsplayer. wrote:

I gave my F30 (virtually the same camera) to my girlfriend after getting a HS50 and comparing the high iso and indoor results (the reason I had kept the F30). Got a F900 for a pocket cam instead and it is definitely an upgrade.

Maybe F900 is an upgrade, but the F550 and F600 I had for a while were such a miserable experience (in quality issues and low light shooting), it put me off buying any more Fuji compact cameras until something changes in Fujifilm attitude concerning their less glamorous products.

The F550 remains a real gem in their lineup. I shot many thousands of images with it and enjoyed every minute with it. I now shoot the net gen cam F770 and the new lens is a marvel.

In my opinion, the F550 stomps the F31fd into dust because you can shoot and process raw and the camera remains relatively fast while shooting raw.

F550 at 1600 ISO ... the F31 had neither the reach nor the detail retention to pull this shot off ...

This too, also 1600 ISO ...

Even 3200 ISO can be viable ...

But I do prefer 1600 as the upper limit ...

I ended up going back to F70, despite less zoom and noisier sensor.

Not in a million years ... I definitely liked the F70 and got lots of great shots with it, but the F550 and Lightroom stomp it into dust too ...

But at least I could focus reliably again, and not go through the kaleidoscope lens flare effects and poor IS. Not to mention the F200, which is in another league when it comes to making a quality, well rounded and competent camera.

I've shot all of these extensively and you are just plain wrong about that. I suspect you had a lemon.

-- hide signature --

More like three lemons in a row, two F550's and one F600. All unusable for any work around bright lights or when good low light focusing is needed. Terrible low light video. Their complete failure in the marketplace speaks better then words about their perceived quality. But they are better for shooting crayons in high ISO low contrast still life tests, I can give you that.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow