Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: A line of straw men
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 5 months ago

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Michel J wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

AlphaTikal wrote:

The question is not To shoot raw or jpeg. The question is raw+jpeg or raw only.

The question is, "what am I supposed to do with all these jpegs?".

With the evolution of technology (and regarding to computer business and built-in-obsolescence paradigm), nothing could be less certain that someone can read your .RAW in the future...

I am quite confident that my Nikon RAW files will be readable for the next 20 years. Beyond then, it won't be my problem.

Try to read a Jaz data cartridge from the 90" on a today's computer, just to confirm the idea...

That's a storage format issue. It would be just as hard to read JPG's from a Jaz drive as it would be to read RAW files. Not relevant.

Anyway, shooting .JPEG increase your skills on exposing your shot better, so why you want to shoot .RAW only, when you can shoot raw+jpeg at the same time?

I expose my shots just fine. Out-of-camera JPG's are totally redundant for me.

If you choose to shoot JPG's, go right ahead. I have no issue with your photographic methods but I wonder about your specious justifications for them.

oh thanks! But not specious at all Anyway, I'm not a .RAW shooter only, for some good reasons as a reprographer(!)

I answering you more in this post already:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3615705?page=8#forum-post-53037016

Just I want you know that I work in the Graphic Art industry (offset printing) and in 15 years of career, we never received any .RAW.

If your .raw should no longer be supported in 15 or 20 years for some reason(?), you know that today nothing surprises me already. Maybe we can access in the future only with coin of the realm, by paying a fixed monthly charge as a the "right to use" (like Adobe "Clouds Computing" already does) they also can do after a file format upgrade (under the benevolent leadership of N$A), to lock all our .RAW by a password, and so on... Who knows?

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow