Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: Ask yourself
In reply to Tony Beach, 6 months ago

Tony Beach wrote:

Lanidrac wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

I consider post-processing to be part of photography -- so yes, being better at that can indeed make you a better photographer.

Thats like saying "I can take a lousy photo and fix it later because I shoot raw".

No, it's saying that post-processing is best done when starting with a Raw file. Post processing a baked JPEG is like preparing a meal from leftovers.

"preparing meal from leftovers" it's especially the case of the .RAW in some aspects.

Just my 0,02:

• A false WB may affect the exposure in some specific circumstances;
  • In PP, we can't decide subsequently if it was best to use a fill-in flash VS a LED light panel instead choosing to increase ISO amplification, or using a reflector or whatsoever?
  • We can't return subsequently in situ if we have to resolve a case of metamerism;
  • We can effectively choose different ways to achieve a 'near WB' of what's happened in-the-field, with grey charts ok. BUT: sometimes we don't want WB but a near atmosphere from the main scene. And in PP, our visual memory is unable to remember the exact K temperatures (from both axes) of what appeared for real nor the subtiles tonalities of colours required (what does was this colour of bamboo, it starts to pull through this green palet or resulting was more yellow+blue?), that tell to me we are unable to restoring correct ratios on the fly in PP, and all at the same time: from something that we never seen (because by definition our eyes had seen "Unbalanced Whites" from the main scene only, since we don't achieved any WB yet in our workflow in PP);
  • WB in four channels when your workflow is the three RGB channels only?
  • And difficult to achieve the ETTR properly in PP, by the way (according to Iliah Borg);

Consequences, with unskilled people (or not) or having lack of memory of the scene, are:

• A false (W)B may affect the exposure in some specific circumstances;
  • Overtreatment of the RAW to find the right setting;
  • A so-so WB finally fixed without a nominal exposure (because OOC), after many triturations and means by which an infinite number of issues might appearing thereafter, finally don't provide the nominal result expected by treating RAW;
  • Which means loss of DR, loss of details in LL and loss of colours;;
  • And sometimes which means excessive saturation of colours as well;
  • last but not least, slightly underexposed shots, which means loss of DR in low light;

All that can be fixed in the field in .JPEG as well, better than later with RAW only in PP I guess, through the histogram and spot metering, to achieve the "nominal exposure you have planned to achieve by yourself" according to the scene. What's virtually impossible with .RAW only, reasons why I'm a RAW+JPEG shooter when is required, and xFine Jpeg shooter the rest of the time...

I know that some RAW shooters don't agree that but they surely have extra-life to spend hours in PP, and an ordinary visual memory, extraordinary, ( ) Either this is a way they are so lucky, or they cheat a tad by using a gray card 18%, what is the same as setting up WB in the field and working .JPEG, because that means they want's to stick on this WB thereafter...!

But ALL in PP is "second choice" or preparing a meal from frozen leftovers

So this squabble between RAW VS JPEG shooters dosen't make sense, we do have to chose what the situation require, imho.

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow