ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kathb
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Help with a decision please
10 months ago

Hi,

I'm hoping someone maybe able to help me make a decision that I'm currently struggling with. Quite a few years ago I had a canon 20d but after it had the 99error (I think that was what it was), and the camera just wouldn't work at all (and this happened whilst on holiday which I then returned for a replacement), this made me loose some confidence with Canon - I may have just been unlucky and this is no longer much of an issue.

Anyway I am currently a Nikon user (previously a D5000 and currently use a D7000 and have a few lenses but no top of the range glass). However I'm having a bit of an dilemma, one of the things that I really liked about the D5000 that I have come to miss a bit is the tilting screen which really helps with low angle shots but I really like that with the D7000 I don't have to delve into the menu system to change the ISO setting etc and can easily see what this is set to on the top display.  Unfortunately Nikon don't have a camera which combines both or at least has buttons to change the ISO etc with a tilting screen.

So, this is what I am currently thinking about.  Stick with the D7000 and just put up with not having a tilting screen (even if this does mean having to lie on the floor at times etc lol),  get a D5XXX to go with the D7000 as this would also give me a backup but do think I would just end up using one of the cameras all the time.

I did think about getting an Olympus PL5 (and still like the look of this), but the idea of having two separate systems and lenses etc could end up expensive even though it would be a handy carry everywhere size.

Canon seem to have some models that have a tilting screen along with either button menu access and or the top screen i.e. 600D/700D/60D/70D.  Obviously when you read the specs they all sound really good and as I also like taking some low light / night photography.  The other thing I have found is that the non pro Nikon lenses seem really good (or at least good enough for me) and I didn't want to end up say getting one of the Canon models but being worse of because the non pro glass isn't as good as Nikon. For example you hear a lot of positive comments about the Nikon kit lenses i.e. 18-55 and 18-105 along with the zooms i.e. 55-200 and 55-300 and having to then pay out so much more on the glass to get similar results for Canon wouldn't be a good move for me as I'm not a professional.

Image quality is the most important thing to me and if it helps I like most subjects (except not really into portraits), i.e. landscapes, nature, animals, flowers etc. I have included a couple of shots that I took with the D5000 with the 55-200 kit lens which I was really happy with to give some examples. Also I seemed to have got better results with the D5000 than the D7000 but that may just be that I haven't really got the settings completely to my taste!

Sorry for the really long post and thank you for taking the time to read this and any comments / help you can provide.

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Kath
www.pbase.com/kathb
www.flickr.com/photos/kathbrewer

Kathb's gear list:Kathb's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +2 more
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow